I've recently been testing out a handful of new smoothie recipes because, well, that's what I do... and I have to say I'm pret-tay, pret-tay excited about them. It's not as much about how delicious they are (because they are in fact, that) but more about how good they are making me feel. It simply a matter of putting together the right concoctions to nourish your belly along with your brain (necessary requirement).
I recently met the dime-piece of a human Kelly LeVeque (of Be Well By Kelly) at the Yellow Conference where she dove into how vital fat is and the importance of keeping your blood sugar levels in check so that you don't find yourself nose diving into your next meal (sound familiar? Yeah, me too.)
Kelly has coined the "Be Well Smoothie" which includes protein (20g minimum) + fiber (10g minimum) + 1 tbsp fat + handful of greens + 1/4 cup fruit + superfoods + liquid.
...and let me just tell you, that's a recipe for success my friends. My brains and my body have never felt so good.
Here's my favorite version I've been blending up lately...
- 1 serving protein of choice (I use this, but you do you)
- 2 tbsp collagen (more protein)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (fiber)
- 1/2 tbsp MCT oil (fat)
- 1/2 tbsp coconut butter (more fat)
- handful of spinach (greens, duh)
- 2 cups unsweetened flax milk (or any nut milk)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (low sugar)
- 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs (because life's more fun that way)
- Optional: sprinkle of hemp seeds on top for a little extra sass
- Place all your feel good foods in a trusty blender and blend away. It's difficult, I know.
I've also been having this in the morning with a cup of coffee - bulletproof style (but light on all the "proofing" ingredients to balance out the smoothie).
Give it a try and let me know how you're feeling!
Also, make sure you check out Kelly (www.bewellbykelly.com). She's solid gold.