I've been a bit crazed lately. Crazed at work. Crazed in personal life. Crazed in my workout regime. Just plain old crazed. There has been A LOT going on to say the least. And while I generally enjoy the chaos it's left me feeling a bit less than ideal.
In an attempt to keep my healthy eating habits up with my life I've been packing some power punch balls to keep me going through the day without reaching for the (gross) snack drawers chalk full of junk food at work.
.... and let me tell ya folks, these are AMAZE BALLS (pun intended).
These portable snacks are a delicious kick of energy any time of day. Sometimes I'll eat one before an early morning workout. Other times I'll have one midday when the afternoon energy slump kicks in. There's no time to waste feeling less than awesome, ammiright?!
These are the perfect balance of carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats, and, of course, CHOCOLATE (need I say more?).
- 1 cup soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup rolled oates (I use Bob's Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup nut butter of your choice
- I always dig almond butter but peanut of seed butter is a good option as well, just don't use the flavored maple, chocolate, etc if you're trying to watch sugar intake.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash (or pile) of cinnamon (depending on your liking)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of water, only if necessary to blend
- 1/2 - 1 cup cacao nibs
- Shredded coconut (optional)
- Process medjool dates in a food processor until a sticky consistency is formed (mine turns into a massive ball of date, yum).
- Add in oats, nut butter, cinnamon, vanilla and process until everything is one big sticky dough. If it's too dry add in a few tablespoons of water to help everything stick together.
- Lightly pulse in the cacao nibs, attempting to keep them slightly still in tact.
- Use your (clean) hands to form the dough into balls and roll them in shredded coconut (if you're into that sorta thing).
- Place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set.