If you have an ear in the health industry you know that "butter coffee" or "bulletproof coffee" (as coined by Dave Asprey) has had it's moment in the limelight. This had been propelled forward by a group of people who use biohacking to find optimal ways to use your body's fuel.
As with any "trend" or way of eating there is a bit of backlash. Especially coming off of the low fat diets of the 90s, which we are all very aware of are NOT good for you. Or at least I hope you are aware...
And while I'm not 100% sure that I can get behind the claims of dowsing your body with butter and oil alone first thing in the morning all the time, I do agree that we need ample amounts of these healthy fats in our diet. Starting with healthy fats first thing provides energy, is good for cognitive function, and sports your hormonal system. I can get down with that.
I've found that for me, if I do the typical Bulletproof recipe and have only that alone I am not sustained properly until lunch and inevitably hit the snack bar. I do a modified version and have it along side my morning smoothie to make sure I've got optimal nutrition to kick the day into high gear. The simple act of adding MCT oil makes my coffee better for me (I don't reach to add sugar laden creamers) and I'm more focused, alert and ready to move into my daily grind.
Try it out for yourself. Your body might just be singing it's praises.
- 1 tbs of coconut butter or unsalted butter (ghee if your body doesn't take dairy like me)
- 1 tbs of Brain Octane or XCT oil (I started with 1 /2tbs and worked my way up)
- These are 18x and 6x stronger than coconut oil, with no flavor
- 1-2 cups of hot coffee brewed with low-toxin beans using a metal filter (I use a french press... and 2 cups because I'm a bawse)
- I prefer to use the Bulletproof coffee beans to be safe
- I like to add some chaga mushroom (immune boosting superfood) and collagelatin (to thicken it a bit and make sure I hit the 20 grams of protein in the morning).
- Make Coffee
- Using a french press is reccomended
- Combine the brewed coffee, butter and oil in your blender (thank you trusty vitamix)
- Blend until there is a thick layer of foam on top like a latte
- Add (optional)
- I add a splash of cinnamon and a couple drops of liquid Stevia for taste
- Pour into your favorite mug and sip, sip away. You'll be shocked at how great it actually is.
An added bonus to making this is the time that is baked in for your meditation practice. Or really, any time you make coffee.
I've formulated my morning routine so that I get the french press going, and while it seeps I step outside onto the porch (or your respective meditation station) for 15 minutes of brain building. By the time it's over, vuala! Your bulletproof (or regular) coffee is served!
Check you out. Two birds with one stone. Efficiency at it's finest.